E-Rate Household Income Survey
The Schools and Libraries Division of USAC (SLD) allows schools to use the household income survey method (aka the Alternative Discount Mechanism) instead of the information reported to the school’s state department of education on the low income student count form. The survey is based on the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) income eligibility levels (School year 2023-24) for reduced lunches. By using the survey method, you can count students who are eligible for the National School Lunch Program whether or not they choose to participate in the lunch program.
You may use the Family Survey below to count the students at your school who are eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). The survey results (Fall, 2023) can be used in your E-Rate FY 2024-25 application to determine your discount rate. If you do not use the survey method, you must use the October, 2023 low income student data that you submit to your State Department of Education or your Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) %.
K&S Clients: you will need to do the following:
- Distribute your surveys to your students
- Collect the returned surveys
- Tally your surveys that are returned (see survey summary instructions below)
- Enter your summary information on the household income survey summary form
- Send us the following no later than December 1, 2023:
- Electronic Version of your Excel spreadsheet
- Copy of ONE completed family survey
- E-Rate Household Income Survey Summary Form-School Year 2023-24
Household Income Survey Forms:
The forms below have been updated for the 2023-24 Income Eligibility Guidelines released February 9, 2023.