FCC Releases Category 2 Order
Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:00 AM
The FCC released the Category Two order which makes the category two budget approach permanent.
The Order will be effective July 1, 2021 (E-Rate FY2021) with the following changes:
- Reset all category two budgets and begin fixed five-year cycles
- Adopt library system-wide and district-wide budget calculations. Adjusted for inflation every five years.
- School Districts: $167/per student. Libraries $4.50/sq foot. One five-year budget through 6/30/2025.
- (Fixed five year budget will refresh again on 7/1/2025 with new multipliers adjusted for inflation.)
- Minimum category two budget: $25,000
- Student count is based on full time enrollment in the first year of the five-year cycle.
- Non-Instructional facilities are not eligible for category two budgets
- Managed Internal Broadband Services, Caching, and Basic Maintenance of Internal Connections - Permanently Eligible
- Equipment transfer rules loosened. Transfers within the district okay at any time. No longer necessary to notify USAC of transfers but must keep records
- Prorated budget for FY2020 transition year
- No changes to Eligible Services List. FCC provided reminder that the Children's Internet Protection Act prohibits recipients from using E-Rate funding for technology protection measures
For further details see: https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/1203712010813